Thursday, September 4, 2008

back on the blog bandwagon...

Unfortunately I am two months behind in posting...  our summer was BUSY!  It isn't because I didn't have anything to post, just that there was so much that happened this summer that I got too far behind.  I decided tonight that I am just going to go forward from here and every once-in-awhile "recap" from the summer.  Sound ok?  Maybe all my readers have given up on me anyway, and that's ok, I'm doing this partly for journaling too, I am so bad at writing things down, this is a better way for me to do that, (if I actually keep up, right!? ;)  

We had such a FABULOUS summer, the best ever!  I don't know how we were gone so much and yet did so much at home too.  The kids loved soccer, gymnastics, going for story time at the library and spending so much time with family.  We had a trip to the Dells to use but had to put that on hold 'cause there just wasn't enough time.  Biking again was a family favorite and our new fav this summer was Tennis! :)  Gracia didn't get into it, but she was happy with her baby and stroller instead.  Damaris decided that we needed to have another baby so that we would have an even # for Tennis partners....  I told her it didn't quite work that way! :)

As fun as our summer was, it was exciting to see the school year creeping in.  Damaris is so excited to be a 1st grader, and mom is so thankful to see a different "attitude" in her lately.  She is growing up and much more joyful, she can find excitement in almost anything.  She starts ballet and tap next week and has her first full piano lesson tomorrow, she has already been to meet her teacher and loved it.  Her teacher was impressed by what she has learned from G. Linda and Danielle, maybe a little from mom too, and said she is definitely ready for lessons.  She gave her some things to work on before her 1st lesson and Damaris has told me that she needs something harder, it's too easy! :)  I hope she keeps loving it for a long time.  Her 1st grade teacher seems great, already teaching them about nouns (?)  It's the third day of 1st grade?!  

My sweet Hans, he's trying to adjust to his new life...  For those that don't know, we have a program here called K-1, it's for the late spring/summer birthdays, you still have to be 5 by Sept. 1, you go all day every other day for the year and then next year go to Kindergarten.  Obviously we have made the right choice to not send him to Kindergarten this year...  Tuesday was his first day, all weekend he was "talking" so excitedly to go.  Tues. morn he couldn't eat his breakfast and as the minutes clicked away he kept getting more and more quiet...  As we were hanging his jacket/backpack up his eyes were filling up.  He did not want me to leave him, HE didn't want to leave, he just didn't want ME to leave!  The teacher had to pry him away from me...  :(  However, it did not last long (the teacher called to assure me that it only lasted a couple minutes) and he 'said' he liked it by the end of the day.  Damaris even said that he rejected her when she asked him to play with her on the playground at recess 'cause he was busy with his buddy Haaken.  Yes, HANS' best buddy's name is HAAKEN, it's like two old men!  hee, hee.  So he had Wed. off and I tried not to do anything too "fun" at home...  This morning went much better, still very hesitant, but I think a big thing was that I made him walk in to school with Damaris, not me.  Then Gracia and I went to a different door and went to D's room to see how it went.  She said there were no tears.  So I went home feeling much better then Tuesday...  until about 11:30...  the nurse calls from school and Hans got stung by a bee on the playground :(.  Poor kid.  He was so brave, until he saw me, then he let the waterworks go...  The nurse thought it best if I took him home to watch that he didn't have a reaction.  He seems just fine, still has a swollen finger though.  As I was praying with him tonight I said something to the affect of "helping Hans like school," and Hans looks right at me with a disgusted look and says, "I like school!"  I hope next week is uneventful for him, and full of things that make him feel confident and secure...

Gracia makes us all smile!  She is a joyful, 4 year old in a two year old's body!!  It is unreal to listen to that little turkey.  There isn't anything she doesn't say, she talks like such a big girl.  This week her favorite saying is "I'm just kidding,"  and "nevermind," and she uses them in the right context.  Her favorite things to do are to play babies, put on makeup and always have a few purses hanging from her arm.  Since the kids started school she has been talking about doing her "lessons,"  we were in Target the other day and she had to do her "lessons," she sang the ABC's, twinkle, twinkle, Jesus Loves Me, and then said, "that's all for my lessons today."

Jeremy is back into full swing with school and football.  I marvel at how he does it all, and does it all well.  (maybe with the exception of football, ha!)  His presence and example for the kids is better then any "great play" anyway.  

I'm really feeling like this is a Christmas letter now so I'm going to stop!  Hope all of you are doing great and ready for fall!  I love fall.  
   

No comments: